By Jackie Tangires, LCSW-C, Certified Aging Life Care Manager
It is that time again to take responsibility for your future and review your health insurance coverage. Medicare Open Enrollment begins on October 15, 2022 and ends on December 7, 2022. Do not delay, start planning today!
It is ALWAYS encouraged that you review your coverage from year to year as the companies and medication formularies change. You don’t want to be blindsided that your medication is no longer covered. Take the time to review your coverage from the current year and choose the best plan that suits your needs.
There are many resources to assist you through this process. Please be sure to reach out to them to assure that you have all the answers to your questions.
Please contact one of the following agencies depending on your location.
MARYLAND STATE HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN 1 (866) 360 – 0209
MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF AGING 1 (800) 243-3425 Option # 2
APPRISE 1 (800) 783-7067
DELAWARE MEDICARE ASSISTANCE BUREAU (Formerly Elder Info)
1 (800) 336-9500 or local (302) 674-7364
HELP AND ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY, INCLUDING WEEKENDS: 1 (800) MEDICARE OR 1 (800) 633-4227.
MEDICARE ALSO HAS A PLAN FINDER TOOL:
Things to consider when reviewing the plans that are offered:
- If you acknowledged gaps in your Medicare coverage, or paid out of pocket for prescriptions more than normal
- If you are taking different medications, a new plan may save you money
- If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, you can switch to Original Medicare
- If you currently have Medicare Part D, or a Medicare Advantage plan, you should receive an ANOC (Annual Notice of Change) from your plan. These notices should reflect any changes in your plan’s benefits, costs, or rules for 2022.
- Even if you are happy with your current plan, it could prove to be beneficial to review different Medicare Part D plans that have changed for the upcoming year.
Additional helpful information when you visit your pharmacy:
- Request a 90-day supply; three refills in one trip
- Request generic medications; these lower-priced medications might be available
- Make sure that the bottles are easy to open, and that you are confident in the administration of the medication
- Make sure that the information for each prescription is easy to read
Mark your calendar now for October 2023 to remind you of the next Open Enrollment!
If you or someone you care about needs additional support to help cope, The Option Group is here to help. Please contact our professional care management team for assistance.
About The Option Group: Founded in 2010, The Option Group’s compassionate team of experienced Certified Life Care Managers serves families, their loved ones, medical professionals, and professional family advisors in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. The firm understands the challenges of caring for an individual who needs assistance due to aging, dementia, disability, or serious illness. Their skilled providers possess over 100 years of combined experience navigating the healthcare maze and accessing hundreds of quality resources. The Option Group helps families spend quality time with their loved ones, providing clear choices that lead to better care. For more information, visit www.theoptiongroup.net or call 410-667-0266 (MD) or 717-287-9900 / 610-885-8899/ 215-896-6756 (PA) / or 302-858-6449 (DE).